Posted on October 28, 2019 by Nancy Schmitt
“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven; a time to be born,
and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill,
and a time heal; a time to break down, and a time to buildup; a time to weep,
and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.”
Yeah! This is the week we get our hour back when daylight savings time ends and we set our clocks back one hour this next weekend. The extra hour always seems to come at a time we need it most and is like manna from heaven. Now the question is, how will we celebrate the time and make the most of this gift? While an hour might not seem like much, if we are intentional, much can be accomplished in an hour. We are reminded in the wisdom of Ecclesiastes that there is “a time for every matter,” so I invite us to think about how we will use and celebrate our extra time this week.
Here are some suggestions:
– Hand-write and send several ‘Thinking of You’ or Thank-You cards.
– Take a prayerful walk in which the only agenda is to notice God’s creation, reflect on the blessings in your life and be thankful.
– Have lunch with a friend, family member or colleague you enjoy being with.
– Read slowly and meditatively through as many Psalms as you can.
– Enjoy an hour of uninterrupted time with your family or close friends.
– Clean a closet or dresser drawers and give some things away to charity.
– Get a massage.
– Logoff your computer, hide your cell phone, turn off the television and just enjoy the silence.
– Create a “Bucket List” of things you would like to do in the near or distant future.
– Take a well-deserved nap.
Enjoy the Time,