The love that God pours into our hearts through the Holy Spirit is how we can be a people of hope and proclaim that “Hope Is Our Future!” Hope allows us to tryly say that the welcome of our church knows no boundaries as we open our doors and our hearts to all God’s children.
The Sun Prairie United Methodist Church has been a presence of God’s hope since 1845 … that is 171 years ago! In 1845, 11 members formed a ‘Methodist Class’, which formed the church. Our first church was built in 1867 at the corner of cliff St. and Columbus St. It was built at a cost of $10,000 and on dedication day there remained a mortgage of $5,890 to be paid. The last of the mortgage was paid off by the Ladies Aid Society 22 years later using the proceeds from a “Board Booth” they ran at the Wisconsin State Fair, then held in Madison.
The current church building was built on its present location in 1962 and celebrates having nearly 900 members. Many changes and additions have taken place to the church building after 1962, all for the purpose of growing our ministries.